Position Title: Tenured or Tenure Track Associate Professor of Italian Studies and the Bernardino Telesio Endowed Professorship in Italian Studies, Fall 2024
Location: Orange, California
Position Type: Full-Time Faculty
Position URL: apply.interfolio.com/130690
The Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at Chapman University invites applications for an Associate Professor, tenured or tenure-track, in Italian Studies. In this position the successful candidate will also be the holder of the Bernadino Telesio Endowed Professorship, within the Department of World Languages and Cultures beginning August 2024.
Chapman University is a nationally-ranked, R2 Carnegie Classified private institution offering traditional undergraduate and graduate programs in the heart of Orange County, one of Southern California’s most diverse and vibrant regions. Chapman’s campuses are home to nearly 10,000 students representing 50 states, three territories, and 78 countries. The 11 schools and colleges of Chapman, including Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, offer 65 bachelors, 53 master, and six doctoral programs, along with nearly 60 minors and 17 accelerated and bridge programs. Classes are taught by the more than 1,100 dedicated faculty members who are leaders in their fields, including Nobel Prize recipients, MacArthur Fellows, National Medal of Science honorees, former U.S. Supreme Court clerks, and Emmy, Grammy, and Academy Award winners.
In today’s complicated and ever-changing global society, the study of languages becomes an integral component for understanding other cultures. The Department of World Languages and Cultures offers the necessary tools to study various languages and their respective literature and cultures. All courses offered under our department range from introductory language skills to upper-level courses that focus on the different facets of the language from literature, culture, and linguistics expressions. The goal of the department is to increase students’ linguistic and practical skills and broaden learning and awareness of the cultures they are studying.
For more information about the Telesio Professorship visit https://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/research-centers/ferrucci-institute/research-creativity/telesio-professorship.aspx
The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/diversity.
- The primary responsibility of the successful appointee will be to advance a research agenda that applies Italian Studies in interdisciplinary contexts and contributes to the activities of the Ferrucci Institute for Italian Experience and Research.
- The Telesio Professor will collaborate closely with the Director of the Ferrucci Institute in developing scholarly and creative initiatives across different departments at Chapman University (including editorial projects and scholarly symposia).
- The Telesio Professor will be asked to teach 4 courses per year (including Italian language and culture and courses in humanities, arts, and/or social sciences) and be expected to contribute to travel courses in Italy when possible (winter and summer terms).
- The successful candidate will mentor and supervise the research of our diverse student body, perform service, and participate in shared governance for the Department and the University.
- Ph.D. in Italian Studies. Candidates with a Ph.D. in related fields (e.g., Cultural Studies, Comparative Literature, Mediterranean Studies, Visual Studies) will also be considered, provided their focus is Italy.
- Active interdisciplinary research agenda
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching a variety of courses in Italian Studies at the college level (in both Italian and English language)
- Native or near-native fluency in Italian
- Broad interests and a dedication to promoting Italian heritage across disciplinary borders and modes of knowledge.
- Ability to collaborate in developing scholarly and creative initiatives
- A second working foreign language is preferred.
Qualified candidates are invited to electronically submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Reprints of publications or other examples of scholarly work
- Sample teaching evaluations from most recent appointments (within the last three years), please include an explanation/summary of scores received
- Confidential letters of reference (3)
Inquiries can be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Federico Pacchioni, firstname.lastname@example.org, and use Telesio Professorship as the email subject line.
Application reviews will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. This position is contingent on final budget approval. Successful completion of a background check is required for the final candidate.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Office of Human Resources, DeMille Hall – 140, One University Drive, Orange, California 92866